Education Support Team (EST)
At Beaumont Primary we have a team of committed professionals who work together with Class Teachers and parents to support learners in the mainstream. Our Education Support Team consists of:
- two permanent Remedial Teachers
- two Audiblox Teachers
- three private Speech/Language Therapists
- two private Occupational Therapists
- private Educational and Counselling Psychologists
Class Teachers consult with the Support Team when a child has been identified with scholastic, emotional, medical or behavioural barriers.
As a first level of support, Beaumont offers Extra Classes for learners of all grades who are falling behind in Language (English/Afrikaans Home Language and Afrikaans First Additional Language) and Mathematics. These group classes are offered by Class Teachers. Maths enrichment classes are also offered to learners during school hours.
Audiblox is a programme designed to develop learners’ visual and auditory perceptual skills. The Audiblox Teachers present this year-long programme to all grade 1 learners and to Gr R [ Afr] in terms 3 and 4.
The Remedial Teachers assess learners referred to them and also provide tuition to individuals and groups of learners with specific needs in Home Language and Mathematics
When necessary, learners are referred to the Speech/Language Therapists and/or Occupational Therapists who offer support to learners mainly in the Foundation Phase. Speech/Language Therapists offer support for articulation, speech and language problems. They also help children with verbal and written expressive language problems and those needing vocabulary expansion. Occupational Therapy focusses on the development of visual perceptual skills (important for reading, writing and mathematics), gross motor skills (promotes good posture and stamina) and fine motor skills (improves quality and speed of handwriting).
This multidisciplinary team meets, when necessary, to discuss a particular learner’s progress.
We also make referrals to Educational and Counselling Psychologists to assess and counsel learners. In addition they run various counselling groups for certain learners.
BEAUMONT COUNSELLING AND SUPPORT GROUPS
Beaumont considers the emotional well-being of our learners to be very important as it impacts heavily on their academic performance. We offer the following support groups: 1. Ready, Steady, Go! (Gr 1 to 3 – facilitated by counsellor Zoë Douglas) The goal of this group will be to facilitate and support learners in a controlled and nurturing environment by teaching the following skills:
- Confidence building
- Identifying and managing feelings in a healthy way
- Social skills
- Exploring negative and positive behaviour patterns
- Positive thinking
- Feeling calm – Anger management
- Making good choices
- Ready, Steady, Go! (Gr 4 to 7 – facilitated by psychologist Dr Jenny Dunkley) The goal of this group is to offer support to learners who are struggling with emotional and/or behavioural difficulties. It aims to provide a forum where children can learn effective ways of managing their feelings and behaviour. This group will address topics such as:
- Anger management
- Conflict management
- Stress management (working with anxiety, fears and worries)
- Effective problem solving (working with impulsivity, planning and decision making)
- Social skills
- Self-esteem enhancement
- Effective communication skills
- Share and Care (Gr1 to 7 – facilitated by psychologist Dr Jenny Dunkley) The aim of this group is to support children from divorced or separated families and seeks to provide a forum where children can learn effective ways of dealing with their feelings and concerns and build effective coping skills. 4. Jolly Achievers (Gr 1 to 3 – facilitated by counsellor Zoë Douglas) This is a workshop for children who need to develop self-confidence. Goals of the group are:
- Session 1: Getting to know myself
- Session 2: Recognising and naming my emotions
- Session 3: Self Development – negative vs positive self-talk
- Session 4: Plan of action – setting realistic challenges
- Session 5: Confident communication – challenges and feedback
- Session 6: A complete picture of a confident me
- The therapists also offer individual counselling and assessments, if necessary.
5. The therapists also offer individual counselling and assessments, if necessary.